District of Columbia Quality Initiative (DCQI), a cooperative effort by the District of Columbia Metropolitan Area (DMV) transportation industry, is dedicated to revolutionizing the District’s transportation system through innovation. The District’s transportation network is an essential element of the metropolitan area’s transportation infrastructure and it’s quality is critical to the economic growth of the region.
The mission of DCQI is to provide the District’s transportation industry a forum that fosters innovation, networking and continuous coordinated quality improvement to ensure a safe, efficient and environmentally sensitive transportation system that meets the needs of all transportation stakeholders.
In support of these principles, therefore, the DCQI’s policy on the quality of transportation is to make a continuing commitment to quality products, information and services through:
· Opportunities for the transportation industry to highlight and discuss current and planned innovative practices
· Proper design, construction specifications related to performance, adherence to specifications, use of quality materials, use of qualified personnel, and sufficient maintenance;
· Constant improvement of transportation engineering technology by increasing emphasis on cooperative research, implementation and technology sharing;
· Flexibility, coupled with responsibility for designers, contractors, workers, and suppliers;
· Adequate assurances of quality achievement in planning, design, and construction;
· Incentives that reward achievements and innovations in providing a demonstrated level of value-added quality; and
· Cooperative development of quality management systems and specifications among Federal, State, and local agencies, academia, and industry.